posted to rec.boats.electronics
nospam nospam is offline

Default Adding-on to 110v shore power system.

mortond wrote:
Hi,
Known:
50 amp shore power receptacle. 30 amp boat connection. 30 amp isolation
transformer. 4kw generator connected to boatside 110v system. Battery
chargers and 110v receptacles and 13v ac lighting fed from shore
power/isolation transformer.

Required:
Converting this steel boat to live-aboard with occasional trips.
Need to increase electrical system to run: 14amp convection oven, new 10
cu ft fridge and TV and stereo system.

Solution:
I know the simplest, and most EXPENSIVE, solution is to buy and install a
50 amp isolation transformer. BUT..

Could I install a second 30amp boat receptacle, connect it to shore power
using a 50x30x30 'Y' power cord, run second 30amp wiring to new 50amp
breaker thence to receptacles for oven, fridge and TV?
This system would not be connected to generator nor to existing system nor
to hull.

Would this work? My concern is the 'Y' connector on the shore power cord.

Should be no problem at all. Each transformer's secondary will be fully
isolated from a)shore power; and b)the other transformer's secondary.
Probably the cheapest solution. Just follow ABYC AC wiring practices and
you should be fine.

Chuck

Any suggestions most welcome.

David Morton