Jim Jim is offline

Default green ground wire

On 21 Nov 2006 04:28:26 -0800, "bobk123"
wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On 20 Nov 2006 19:26:53 -0800, "bobk123"
wrote:

1 - Are you sure that's a ground wire?

2 - Are you sure it's not a bad sender?

If both of the above it yes, then by all means.

Yes to number 2 and but not sure about number 1 question. I checked
the sender and gauge off the boat by hooking it up to just the 12 volt
battery and they worked fine. As far as the ground question, the green
wire is attached to the tank at a welded strap on the tank. Also
connected to this strap besides the green wire is a black ground wire
for the fuel sending unit. From what I read in this forum a heavy
gauge green wire is normally an earth ground wire and used for ground
when connected to shore AC power. I don't have AC on this boat just 12
V DC current so I'm not sure why a green wire is on this small 16 ft
boat.

Ok, so I assume you removed the sender and checked it - good. Now
that wire run should be duplicated on your boat in exactly the same
way you tested it. The way you would do that is to ring out the wires
from the gauge to their termination points at the tank. Find the power
leads and that should be that.

Greenwire is normally associated with ground in AC systems, but not DC
systems. I assume that your 16 foot boats is probably all DC and no
AC available. So my thinking on the issue is that you need to find
the black ground wire, or just rewire the gauge/sender as you tested
it and just disconnect anything you can't readily identify from the
tank. That extra wire could be a work around for some other accessory
on the boat that was removed, but it could be an active ground.

I would just ground it to whatever point is closest on the engine
block.

Green is usually the color for bond except in the case of Eisboch's Volvos.
You should find thay all of the green wires are tied together at the engine,
common bonding plate, or at least to a dynoplate. Eisboch will correct me if
I'm wrong.
Jim