Bob Bob is offline

Default Skype 3.0 has LIVE voice chat!

Peter wrote:
Look, I don't have any probs with any of that. Just Larry was touting
this as a superior thing to n/gs. It isn't.

Well, like most new found things its the the old "Yreka!" response.
Enthusastice responce or something like that.

For starters, people have
to be in a reasonably similar timezone for it to be effective. The net
is global.

Gotta agree there.

For another, you can search archives for useful information
with n/gs. That isn't going to happen any time soon (if at all) with
chat.

Absolutly! One of the things that ruffle my feathers is someone who
posts here and asks a question that was described in detail, debated,
and later agreed by obviously some way smater people than me. All that
new poster need do is a quick check of the amazing amount of extreamly
detailed info found here and electronics & building.

I see it as a fringe element enhancement to communications.

Car phones were fringe. I remember in the late 70s when I saw one and
then with Miami Vice hit it big.................. car phones and
disco....................... ugh! But now I take a phone smaller than a
size of Camels to the boat and like you, (lie) and turn it off and tell
my wife that I can not get good reception in the marina.

Now I've
got satellite broadband

Way cool ! Is it one of those seagoing type or a DishTV thing?

I expect I'll get a Skype account, but I can't
see it being a substitute for n/gs and email.

Agreed. Skype does a very few things very well.

I like the asynchronicity
and not having to reply/answer RIGHT NOW when I'm in the middle of
machining something.

So you are a machinest? Boy do I have a few questions for you. My skill
level limits me to a file, hacksaw blade, and a drill. Kinda stoneage

Hell, I turn my cellphone off the moment I get on
the boat so people can't ring me up, and only turn it back on if I want
to gloat....

You are not alone on that I suspect.

My last comment is dont throw the baby out when ya empty that
galvanized wash tub.

My wish list is for some cheep highseas broadband. Maybe in 10 years???

AKA Bob

PDW