Calif Bill Calif Bill is offline

Default Fishing

"thunder" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:27:23 +0000, NOYB wrote:

Yeah, but there is a significant risk of ciguatera.

I ate 'em in Mexico, and had no problems. But that was before I knew
about
ciguatera.

It's my limited understanding that ciguatera isn't limited to barracuda,
but to any fish that predates reef fish, i.e larger snappers, groupers,
etc. It's a nasty illness.

Depends a lot on the method of handling the fish after death. Put it in a
burlap bag on the deck and squirt it with a hose every so often does not do
well, but putting the fish on ice prevents the ciguatera from what I
understand. As to eating them, maybe the Atlantic Barracuda tastes better
than our west coast version.