posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Bob Bob is offline

Default Teaching a loved one to sail

wrote:
OK, I admit I am unable to teach someone.

You can lead a horse to water but cant make them drink.

The secrect getting a horse to drink water is not leading them around,
rather, its how to create the thirst.

You should not be concerend with "teaching" studetns rather wondering
how studetns "learn."
Thus: learners not students.

Sometimes you explain it
several times and they dont get it. What do you do?

Determine what the learner need to be able to do when its all over.
Match learnering styles, outcomes, learning methods.

Years ago, I
taught College Physics and my students seemed to think I was good but
that is all abstractions. Teaching a skill is different.

No, not really. Yes, there are a few diffrneces between Thinking and
DOing skills but in the long run none.

I have never
been able to teach my wife to steer a canoe either. I cannot explain
how to do it,

Sounds as though you lack the skill to describe skills (behaviors) ,
that when put together, alow a person to canoe.

Think: Progressve approximation of a target behavior. In other words,
baby steps. Or learn to crawl before stand, before toddle, before walk,
before walking 25 feet without falling. etc.

I just do it.

Modeling is an effective learning stratigy. See one, do one, teach one.
Monkey see, monkey do (social learning theory)

Its like explaining how to ride a bike.
Some people really want personal instruction and others just want to be
pointed in the right direction and let them go.

Yes, now youre on the right track. Diffrent learning types.

My son is like my
wife, he craves instruction to the nth degree and he makes me crazy.

Do you mean detailed concrete instructions? If you can not explaine
what you want how on earth can you expect someone to do it?????

My 10 yr old daughter just wants some general directions and she'll
figure out the rest. Of course, my little daughter drives my wife
crazy.
Tacking in the channel was like that. How do I tell her "Steer up when
you feel power coming on from the wind and then down a little when it
goes away".

Lots of prereq skills to acccomplish that.

"When you tack, you gotta feel when the wind begins to
catch the jib to help push the bow around in a tight tacking situation"
There is a lotta "feel" that goes into this that I cannot explain.

You are not alone. I have listened to 1000s of seasoned managers, cops,
teachers, who get very frustrated becfause they lack the skills to
describe human behavor. Just that you are describing this problem shows
that you have great insight.

The first step is to be able tod istinguish betwen an opinion and a
fact. For example:
1) outside theweather is 81 degrees F, wind NW 18-24 K, visibility 3000
m.
2) Its a beautiful day.

Which is an opinion? Which is the fact (observable behavior)

Now lets take that concept and apply it diffrently. Which is an
opnionand fact?
1) you are so stupid!
2) name all parts of the mainsail.

AKA bob