posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Gilligan Gilligan is offline

Default Shame and debasement

Leave the wife home. Obviously she can not contribute to the solution of the
problem, she can only make matters worse. Just think of what might have
happened if someone was injured or quick action was needed to prevent
catastrophe.

The icing on the cake is to mention to her how lonely her retirement will be
when you are out sailing the world - without her.

I do not understand why men are expected to cater to women's emotionally
driven whims and are expected to "apologize" for not understanding. Why
aren't women expected to understand men? Why is it assumed that women are so
handicapped? Why must men yield to this emotional terrorism?

Women are wired for dealing with children, other women and some family
matters. Men are wired for dealing with the external world - things such as
attacking beasts, danger, dinosaurs, thugs, science, sailing and the like.
In your situation there was a conflict between the manly world and the
woman's world. It looks like the costliest solution won.

It is unfortunate that the great and powerful mind of that Master Mariner
Capt Neal is not here to contribute further on this subject. I am certain
that he would add brilliant insight.