posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Joe Joe is offline

Default Shame and debasement

wrote:
Don White wrote:
wrote:
snip..
They tow us to the dock
and I go to pay. By this time I was seriously happy to be off the boat
with my wife so even *the astonishing cost of $480* didn't faze me
much. It was $10/ft for the ungrounding (28' sailboat) and then $165
minimum and a couple other fees.

snip...

Whoo hoo! Around here the Coast Guard...or some friendly boater will
always come to the rescue...for free.

Re-thinking this, I regret posting it. It has me blaming my wife for
my predicament when I had nobody but myslf to blame. If I had
displayed much more confidence and a fun atitude I could probably have
talked my wife into enjoying the overnight grounding. Unfortunately, I
consider sailing to be an excercise in problem solving so I do not sail
for the same reasons she does. I DID invite her. I apologize.

David OHara

Good re-thinking David. First off, your engine problem was your fault,
second, you ran aground. 3rd, you should have jumped in and swam out
with the anchor, dove down and planted it deep so you could kedge
yourself off. 4th at the time you ran aground the tide was changing and
you would have been free in an hour or two, you could have given your
daughter a fishing pole and headed below with your wife to pass the
time. 5th you are right, getting fustrated at the wife for messing up
the tacks was un called for, I'd kept sailing in circles all night
until she got it right, laughing and slamming down a shot of
jeagermiester every time she got it wrong, Remeber the only difference
for adversity and adventure is attitude.

Joe