posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Larry Larry is offline

Default Shame and debasement

" wrote in
ups.com:

I have to get to work in the
morning and Katie has o go to school and....

Oh, how I hate to go to sea with anyone who "needs to be somewhere at
this time".....

We got becalmed in the Gulfstreamer Race from Daytona Beach to Charleston
a couple years back. The sea was as flat as a table just out of the
Stream and the air was so still a hanky wouldn't wiggle. We sat there 6
hours, just like everyone else. Cap'n Geoffrey says to me, "What do you
think?" I reply, "Well, the wind is BOUND to come up by next weekend or
so. Wake me up if it freshens and I'll take the first watch.", as I head
off to my beloved V-berth for a nice nap. (I always get sleepy after
gorging on $480 in the finest gourmet food that was "left over" from
shopping in Daytona's biggest Publix Deli. The boat was packed with
enough food and booze to make Amel's factory pier in France with 12
passengers aboard.) Less than 2 hours later, I'm awakened by the Perkins
diesel I had lovingly had fixed in Daytona Marina. I drag myself out and
asked, "What's going on?" The other guys on the race crew had gotten
antsy about getting home so we motored home 90 miles on the Perkins,
getting in about midnight.

I was too tired to go home. I crawled back in my beloved V-berth until
10AM Monday morning....(yawn)....refreshed. I hauled $200 in gourmet
food home with my dirty clothes. No sense it going to waste (or waist),
right?

With our huge race handicap "Lionheart" has, we can arrive home a day
after the race ends and still place in the top 5.....(c; We shoulda
waited crankin' the Perkins..... Just because you can't see any other
racers, doesn't mean we're gonna be "last", again....necessarily....until
the math is complete.

Larry
--
Halloween candy sure has dropped in price, lately!