posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default 1890s yacht racing

Varuna:

Eugene Higgins (1860-1948) was heir to his father Elias's New York City
carpet manufacturing fortune--an estimated fifty million dollars--and
according to the society pages, he was not only the wealthiest bachelor
in New York, but also the most handsome. (12) Higgins sold the family
business shortly after assuming control of it in 1889, which allowed
him to devote his attention to more leisurely pursuits. (13) He was a
devoted golfer, cross-country rider, fisherman, hunter, coach racer,
yachtsman, and fencer. In 1890 he won the American fencing
championship, and his yacht, Varuna, named for the Hindu god of the
ocean, was declared the most modern vessel of its kind. (14) A
celebrated host, Higgins planned "sumptuous pleasure campaigns" in
advance of each season for his elite circle of friends, and his town
house at Fifth Avenue and Thirty-fourth Street, and country estate in
Morristown, New Jersey, were regarded as "meccas of high society."

Joe

wrote:
Thank you all for your responses!

We really appreciate all the suggestions and tips!

Now come some harder questions:

There are other vessels on our site
http://www.jsjohnston.org that
are equally impressive but do not seem to have any America's Cup or
Herreshoff connections.

For example, take a look at these extremely impressive vessels:
* Montauk http://www.jsjohnston.org/~montauk.html
* Varuna http://www.jsjohnston.org/~varuna.html

Where could we go to learn more about these (and similar) yachts? These
are obviously huge vessels built and owned by (I'm sure) very powerful
people. There must be a record of them somewhere!

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your help!

Chris Baer
http://www.jsjohnston.org