posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle
donquijote1954 donquijote1954 is offline

Default Heavy anchor for canoe?

Cyli wrote:
Thank you. Though I don't have a river and I do have strong currents,
and would have thought the opposite, that I should want to the bow to
raise because of the waves, but then the wind gets it so... I don't
know now.

Never fought a wind that hard with current going my way and wind
against. I suspect it'd be a day I'd either never take off to paddle
and either drive home from the putin or, if already on the river, I'd
stay in my tent until the wind went down. Waves high enough to come
over the bow are no place / time to for people like me to paddle. For
one thing, all it takes is a bit of a turn to have the side on to the
wind and it's an oopsy over dump situation. I keep my stuff mostly
tied down, but getting a swamped canoe and gear to shore in ugly
weather isn't my thing.
--

It's a likely scenario in which I go out in a fine day, and come back
the next day when is windy like hell. Be ready to spend a few days out