posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle
Cyli Cyli is offline

Default Heavy anchor for canoe?

On 16 Nov 2006 10:54:53 -0800, "donquijote1954"
wrote:

Cyli wrote:
On 15 Nov 2006 10:22:47 -0800, "donquijote1954"
wrote:

You mean to scoop water out? But didn't get the last part about ballast
bottles.

Since at least half my canoeing is downstream (more if I can talk
someone into a shuttle), if I put more weight in the canoe, it sinks
farther down into the river and the current takes it better. This is
a very good thing when your favorite river runs to the south and the
wind comes from the south and you're headed south.

Thank you. Though I don't have a river and I do have strong currents,
and would have thought the opposite, that I should want to the bow to
raise because of the waves, but then the wind gets it so... I don't
know now.

Never fought a wind that hard with current going my way and wind
against. I suspect it'd be a day I'd either never take off to paddle
and either drive home from the putin or, if already on the river, I'd
stay in my tent until the wind went down. Waves high enough to come
over the bow are no place / time to for people like me to paddle. For
one thing, all it takes is a bit of a turn to have the side on to the
wind and it's an oopsy over dump situation. I keep my stuff mostly
tied down, but getting a swamped canoe and gear to shore in ugly
weather isn't my thing.
--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..

http://www.visi.com/~cyli