posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle
donquijote1954 donquijote1954 is offline

Default Heavy anchor for canoe?

Cyli wrote:
On 15 Nov 2006 10:22:47 -0800, "donquijote1954"
wrote:

You mean to scoop water out? But didn't get the last part about ballast
bottles.

Since at least half my canoeing is downstream (more if I can talk
someone into a shuttle), if I put more weight in the canoe, it sinks
farther down into the river and the current takes it better. This is
a very good thing when your favorite river runs to the south and the
wind comes from the south and you're headed south.

Thank you. Though I don't have a river and I do have strong currents,
and would have thought the opposite, that I should want to the bow to
raise because of the waves, but then the wind gets it so... I don't
know now.