posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Default Google proves MacGregor 26 is flimsy

CJH wrote:
This thread just keeps on going, and going, and going... I think that I
have found the immediate remedy to my quest. I think that I will join
the Harbor Island Yacht Club. I have a few friends that sail there and
all enjoy it. I'll have access to good instruction and several
different boats. What a better way to start out.

Can't really think of one, myself. The opportunity to get
first-hand experience on a wide variety of boats is invaluable.

The one bit of advice I would offer is, if you are solicited
to join a racing crew, ask discretely around the club to see
if the skipper is a screamer. If by some chance, you do get
shangaied into racing (or sailing at all) with a nice guy
who suddenly turns into a screaming butt-head, please don't
conclude that all racers (or sailors of that type boat) are
like that. This is a common situation even though screamers
are a small minority, but they drive away good crewand thus
are always recruiting.

I can also buy a
small motor boat for putting around when we go camping to keep the
family happy. Win-win.

It doesn't have to be fancy, those "tin skiffs" are very
practical and a lot of fun.

DSK