posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Default Google proves MacGregor 26 is flimsy

Aside from that, it's too light, when everybody knows that boats should be
heavy!

Maxprop wrote:
Even with the foam core my boat has a disp/length ratio of over 400. I hate
to think what it might have been had the hull been 1" solid FRP.

It should change the D/L ratio because it shouldn't change
the designed displacement. It would however reduce the
ballast and increase the average specific gravity (as Jeff
noted).

These discussions go 'round & 'round with the crab-crusher
folk who think a boat should be like a steam-roller. Most of
them can't seem to realize that a boat hull has only a given
amount of immersed volume, and that increasing weight for no
purpose only subtracts from the weight which can be used to
serve a purpose.

Maxprop wrote:
I met Frank Butler at a show about twenty years ago. He was amiable,
informative, excited about is products and eager to speak with potential
customers. A few years ago I heard him speak at a seminar in Chicago. He
was cynical, obnoxious, and appeared depressed. Perhaps success isn't all
it's cracked up to be. ??

He has some health problems, the last time we met him (about
4 or 5 years ago) he was more eager to speak about health
issues with my wife than about boat issues with me. But I
still found him to be a nice guy, don't know about dealing
with the public. Another possible factor is that he's become
more of a CEO than a boatbuilder, and he may find that a lot
less fun than, say, Michael Dell does.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King