Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Algae-X (no "opinions" or hearsay, please, just real-world, first-person) user experience sought

On 12 Nov 2006 15:30:03 -0800, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

What I didn't elaborate upon, as it wasn't relevant to the discussion
at hand, is that I'll have both a fuel polishing (in the usual sense of
the word, but who assigned that label, anyway? Is it bright, now?)
system, with a pump running through rather large filters, 30 and
10microns in series, with a vacuum gauge to monitor their condition,
feeding a dual (parallel) Racor setup so in the unlikely event of
fouling once I've finished, I can switch on the fly. Before those
there will be a small priming pump so in the even more unlikely event
of needing to bleed, it will be easier than with the manual pump on the
side of the engine.

Sounds to me like you've got all of the important stuff covered
already.

snip
Yet, of course, the first three posts in the topic following mine do
exactly what I'd pleaded not to do - pontificate, hyperbolate, lecture
and otherwise tell me all the reasons it won't work without having done
so themselves.

Sorry Skip, but I'm always willing to share what has worked for me,
call it what you will.

************
Skip,

We have had an Algae-X for 6 years now and have never had a problem
with fuel. The sound you hear is me knocking on wood.

We have left Likeke at different marinas for months at a time with a
full fuel tank and no additives in tropical weather with no problem. We
have bought fuel up and down the ICW, the Bahamas, throughout Central
America and Panama and rarely used our WM "Baja" filter. Even bought
some off a shrimp boat in the Vivorillos on our trip south with no
problem. We've been through 1,900 gallons with it on the boat.

We have also noticed a reduction in exhaust soot and only have to
lightly clean a small portion of our transom on occasion. The engine
seems to run very nicely as well.

I once talked to a fellow sailor who had been to the Mack Boring Temple
of the Diesel Gods and he asked about the Algae-X. They apparently
recommended using it, although they, too, had no idea how it really
works.

So, I guess it was worth the $125 we paid for it back when we didn't
know any better. It may be all smoke and mirrors, but at the end of the
day, it does seem to work. Either that or we've been unusually lucky
when it comes to clean fuel.

There have always been Algae-X success stories out there. I assumed
you had already run across them since it has been actively debated for
a long time.

My attitude in your case is why not? You've already done the
important stuff in my opinion and the Algae-X magnetic system
certainly can't hurt anything other than instill a dubious sense of
over confidence.