Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default More info on abandoned yacht

It's amazing how many boats that are abandoned are later found
floating in survivable condition. Boats are generally tougher than
the crews these days. Being able to call for help no doubt effects the
decision making process. I think the statistic (based on being a
researcher into sailing vessel safety 20 years ago) is that 4 out of 5
abandoned vessels don't actually sink. Something to think about
before you spend thousands of dollars of the tax payers money to leave
your dream behind.

It happened to a friend's boat last year. It was towed in by an LNG
ship. Aside from all the cushions being soaked and a bent bow pulpit
(from the tow line), it didn't look any worse than after a two week
cruise in Maine. As he quipped, "As soon as they stopped trying to
steer it, it did just fine."

--

Roger Long

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
I received a few additional e-mails from my friend, who is a friend
of the people that abandoned the Erikson 47 a few days ago:

A fair number of yachts head south in November on the theory that
the chance of hurricanes is pretty much nil. Of course the chances
of autumnal gales increase. We knew a merchant captain who claimed
the best time was around Christmas for a shot to Bermuda. (It often
seems there is a lull around the first of the year though it is
usually quite cold til across the Gulf stream.

Our friends had hired a weather router and I watched the charts
casually and thought they picked a reasonable time but the weather
these days is quite volatile. I would hope the weather router is at
least very embarrassed.

The boat had a 70ft mast so the ICW was off limits to them. In
retrospect they should have gone: NS to Cape Cod to Block to Cape
May to Norfolk and then to Bermuda but....

I will be interested to hear Brian's post mortem.

[asked if its OK to post his comments]
Sure, go ahead, but I'm not really qualified to comment about
offshore sailing. Ask me about the time of year to scoff
moorings:-)

BTW the boat was apparently abandoned in floating condition. Knowing
the boat I think it was a reasonable decision from a practical and
financial standpoint. The boat was old and well raced. The rig was
rod with a very high tech mast almost impossible to replace at any
reasonable cost. So basically I agree with the abandonment from a
financial standpoint. Also the presence of crew with a broken arm
presumably beyond helicopter evacuation range plays a role. Once
again I don't know the precise circumstances or Brians thoughts at
the time.

They were all experienced and I trust their abilities to make
informed decisions so if you quote me please don't do it in a manner
which would embarrass my friends. But I doubt you would!

If there is a lesson to be derived from these three abandonments I
think it is that the usual weather guides may no longer be valid
given the general unpredictability of weather over the last 5 -10
years or so. I think offshore sailing may be riskier.

And communications have made abandonment very easy.

and finally, this link:
http://www.herald.ns.ca/NovaScotia/540343.html