posted to rec.boats.building
Michael Porter Michael Porter is offline

Default Steel hull insulation

Well, each to his own, but I have experienced burning urethane foam
once and was lucky to survive it. Before I put _any_ foam in a boat I
would want to see rigorous test data fromsomeone besides the salesman.

As to other chemicals, consider frayed insulation on a wire behind a
bulkhead that eventually sparks enough against the hull or another
wire to get things going. I've seen it happen,both in boats and in
houses.

Not for me, thanks.

"CS" wrote:

I would hate to think of all the chemicals giving off by a modern boats
burning interior before the fire even gets to the spray foam. I think
any fumes given off by the foam burning will be the least of your
worries - if you are not out of the boat by then, then you probably are
not escaping at all. The myth of foam burning seems to persist - the
company who sprayed my vessel used a fire rated/retardant material.

Michael Porter Naval Architect / Boatbuilder
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com