posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Default Google proves MacGregor 26 is flimsy

Get a hell-for-leather sport boat then your kids would probably have fun

CJH wrote:
That's what they want...all that matters is to go fast and beat the 21ft
Chris-Craft. Oh, and water ski and tube, etc. I was just looking at
sailboats and my sons were changing "motor boat, motor boat" in the
background.

http://www.rocketboats.com/home.html

You could name it "Motor Boat."
Actually one of these would be pretty cramped for a family,
but it would make a great camper-cruiser. And it's total
blast, under the right conditions (windy) would beat that
Chris-Craft!

I like this boat below. I am 90% sure it is owned by the guy who sold
my friend his boat (he had 3). It's not what I'm looking for but I like
it.
http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_de...p%26is%3Dfalse

Those are nice, used to be one just down the dock from us...
a couple that had circumnavigated in it. Not a boat for
speed thrills though

Here's another that I like that is more in my price range.
http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_de...0%26is%3Dfalse

Kinda like Pizza Hut though, I mean you see them everywhere.
And not trailerable, although there are a few boats of
similar form that are trailerable. That S-2 7.9 is a bit
smaller but should still be roomy enough for a family of 4
and has better performance than the Catalina 27 (much
better, but it's not a motor boat substitute).

I'm not in any hurry. The key is to have the money on stand by and wait
for the right boat to come along.

Or get something that's relatively inexpensive to start
having fun now... not to be in a hurry but to get some miles
of water under you & your kids!

One of the best things about a small to medium sized
sailboat, from a kids standpoint, is that he (or she) can
command it. It's much much safer than a car (once they learn
the basics), they can be totally independent, they can bring
friends along.

I have been thinking about building a Bateau V10 with my boys while I
research and wait. The idea is that we can use this as a lake boat when
we go camping and they can learn from the building process.

That sounds like fun too. Good basis for practical skills
that will come in handy later on.

Then I
change my mind and think that I should just buy a small sail or motor
boat and enjoy it while waiting. Analysis paralysis sets in and I take
a valium and go to bed.

Old engineering maxim: "If you have enough information, the
decision makes itself."

I'm facing a somewhat similar problem myself, wanting to get
a boat for fun sailing & maybe some racing, but keep
thinking about a traditional boat for sailing with my
father... maybe a small gaff cutter... but then I also have
a lot of major & hectic disturbances in my life this year,
so can't really make any headway on it.

I haven't taken the Mac off of
my list yet. (oh god, I said it.)

S'OK... just don't convince yourself it's the *ONLY* option,
or that you want it for reasons that turn out to be false
(like how it's blazing fast). If it works for you, then that
would be great.

BTW if this helps, I've pulled tubes & boogie boards with
medium size racing sailboats. It's more fun than you'd
think. In fact I once sailed 9 miles pulling a college buddy
on a surfboard, flying a spinnaker, in a Lightning... brief
film on TV with that one.

DSK