posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Default Google proves MacGregor 26 is flimsy

But he won't do more sailing than any other trailerable sailboat,
he'll just go slower and have a harder time steering. Why do people
have to act like the Mac26 is the *only* trailerable sailboat?

CJH wrote:
Sorry, just catching up. I couldn't find my thread.

I told you, those darn cultists are pernicious!

... No I haven't
joined the cult just yet. There are too many things to consider and
will have analysis paralysis for a while. So what are the
recommendations for other trailerable sailboats suitable for a family of
four as described in my initial post. If I carry a dingey with motor my
kids would be satiated.

Get a hell-for-leather sport boat then your kids would
probably have fun blasting past the motorboats with
asymmetric spinnaker. A Henderson 33 or SR-33 or Melges 32?
They're a bit pricey though.

... Don't worry about tow weight too much, F-350 SD
Diesel can pull quite a bit. I don't want to break the bank on my first
boat. I have some experience but would like to cut my teeth for 2-3
years and then break the bank.

OK
Another question I have is, what are your tastes?
Traditional? How about this?
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._boats=1441758
or this one (no trailer included it looks like, but these
boats are made to be trailerable
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._boats=1468052

Or if your tastes are mor emodern, here's a boat that blow
the doors off a Mac26X (or -M) with their motor at full throttle
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._boats=1572063

Or one of these (these boats are actually changing hands in
the mid to upper teen$ so are not as expensive as you might
think)
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._boats=1479746

Here's a nice conventional sloop, good performance (popular
racing class, in fact) that should be roomy enough
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._boats=1593489

There are a LOT of options out there in the price range of
the Mac 26X, or much cheaper (look for a Mac 25 swing keel,
a good performing boat and the basis of two later model
MacGregors). It may take a bit of hunting but the more
leg-work you do, the better of a boat you'll find.

Hope all the BS that popped up in this thread didn't totally
turn you against sailing, or this ASA newsgroup. The Mac26X
is a controversial boat and attracts doo-flinging. Check out
the Sailing Anarchy forums on the subject and you'll see
some real artists (and cultists) at work.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King