posted to alt.sailing.asa
Walt Walt is offline

Default Google proves MacGregor 26 is flimsy

DSK wrote:

Frankly I don't understand the "logic" of picking a boat that makes so
many compromises to be trailerable, then keeping it in a slip.

Not all the compromises are geared soley toward trailerability. For
instance:

o The near-rectangular cross-section gives roominess below.

o The ability to drain the ballast tank, unstep the mast and
turn it into a powerboat.

o The ease of stepping and unstepping the mast if you sail where
there are low bridges.

o Swing up centerboard for getting into (and out of) shallow areas.

All of the above compromises give a certain result that may be desirable
to some. All inhibit sailing performance, but performance isn't the
last word in picking a boat.

And for someone like me who wants to keep their boat right on the water
for easy access, but who takes half a dozen trailering excursions a
season, trailerability & renting a slip aren't necessarily incompatible.

Of course, I'd never own a Mac 26X or 26M.
It has a *motor*. Yeech.

//Walt