Jeff Jeff is offline

Default hunter 34... broker

A Canadian Navy frigate is presently on its way to rescue another Canadian
Sailboat at about 650 miles south of Yarmouth Nova Scotia. It is reported
that the winds are very strong and the sea rough enough for the Frigate to
use storm tactics and to proceed with caution. One of the tactics used is to
point into the wind with the engine geared at the proper speed until the
worst is over.

I just received this email from close friends who had spent the summer
in Shelburne, and sewed a new dodger for the boat:

News clipping from Canadian Globe and Mail which details the trial of
our friends from Shelburne. Rochelle 4 is the boat we did all the
sewing for.

According to our sources they were rolled and dismasted in winds 40-50
SE and seas to 24 ft. Sheila broke her arm in the rollover. The boat
was a 47 ft Erickson, flush deck, 80's era substantial IOR offshore
racer. All are experienced sailors. They had put a lot of work into
the boat it is sad to see them have to leave it but in the
circumstances I think it the correct decision.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

We learned of this as the rescue was happening. Very strange to be
enjoying a nice sail down the Chesapeake while our friends were in a
survival situation.

More later.