Larry Larry is offline

Default Porta-Bote (long)

Dan Best wrote in news:455411f5$0$34580
:

if not, how do you deal with limited flat space for assembly

On Lionheart, we store the Portabote flat against the port rail, out of
the way, upside down so it drains. Lionheart has solid handrails,
though, so this might not work for others.

To assemble, clip a mast halyard to the yoke on the bow of the Bote.
Take a couple of turns around one of the self-tailing mast winches to use
for a brake then around the anchor windlass drum, because I'm lazy and
like electrical power gadgets (Tool Time, Ar, Ar!) Winch the Bote bow up
until the stern is just clear the deck, hanging from the mast. Fold her
out inserting stern/seats and bolt them all down so she looks like a boat
hanging from a mast.

Swing her out over the handrail, right side up, of course, and release
the halyard around the winch to ease her into the water. If you're
docked, you can release the halyard clip as she goes over and switch to
the bow dockline we leave on her so you can walk her around aft to the
boarding ladder to load her up. We keep her motor by the boarding ladder
and use the mizzen boom for a motor lift which drops her motor right onto
her stern so easy...(c; The mizzen boom also makes a great sea painter
to hold her away from the hull if you're anchored out and don't want her
banging the hull, waking you up. Just trail her out behind the boom in
any current/wind, but close enough to board.

By the way, that was MY idea of building her and taking her apart hauled
up the mast....(c; It's so easy to hold her off the rail while bringing
her aboard without straining anything. A piece of tape around the
halyard where it goes around the winch resets the proper length so when
you ease her aboard she ends up stern 6" off the deck so you don't
scratch up the pretty gelcoat while laying her against the forward end of
the mast. One can do it, but it's almost sinfully easy with two. After
all, someone has got to press the UP button on the windlass, right?...(c;

Larry
--
Halloween candy left over.....
Is there a downside?