Chuck Gould Chuck Gould is offline

Default What is the Barrel for???

scbafreak via BoatKB.com wrote:
In my opinion, that is nowhere close to ABYC compliant for a propane
tank. Also, it's way too big. Assuming propane would only be used for
the galley stove on that sailboat, that would be about a year's supply.

Yes but if a standard sized propane tank sits inside of it with all of the
fittings would that be more likely or am I swimming up the wrong stream here?

To meet ABYC standards the cover needs to be able to "blow off" should
the propane cylinder explode. Maybe the ends of the barrell blow out,
but I think the cover has to blow vertically.

Also, the lashings suggest that the barrel is only temporarily in
place. It would be dumb, I think, to clutter up the workspace on the
deck with anything as pedestrian as an enormous propane locker. And a
propane locker would be affixed more permanently where ever it might be
appropriately located.