Jeff Jeff is offline

Default licensed captain requirements?

Ryk wrote:

Is it a "sea day" if I'm out sailing my own 35 foot sailboat, or do I
need to be under the supervision of a licensed captain?

It is supposed to be a full 8 hour day, but at the discretion of the
testing officer they will accept 4 hour days. If you "self certify"
you have to show that you actually own a boat. You fill out a simple
form showing how many days you sailed, inside and outside the various
lines, etc.

There's a lot of "wink wink nudge nudge" around this point. While
"old timers" have no problem with the time, 360 days is a little tough
for someone who only has done recreational boating for a few years. I
think they figure that anyone willing to go through the testing should
be given the benefit of the doubt. And frankly, I don't see how you
get the Near Coastal or Offshore without working every day on a
fishing boat.

Also, while the 100 ton is actually enough to run a small tour boat or
ferry, to be certified for 100 tons, you need experience in something
at least close to 100 tons. Sailors often get 25 ton licenses, some
have even smaller.

One more curious thing - being a deckhand or even bartender (sometimes
they are the same!) counts as service. Anyone who spends a few
summers working a tour boat would be well advised to make the effort
to get a license.