Default licensed captain requirements?

This is an off chute from "hunter 34 ... Broker.
I am not aware that in Canada we have Licensed pleasure craft sea Captain.
This year at the Newport RI boat show I saw several booths advertising for
pleasure craft Captain courses.
The information that I got was the cost of the course. When I ask for the
content of the course and its syllabus the answers I got were not as
detailed as I would have though. One of the person at the booth informed me
that if I wanted to operated my sailboat for commercial purposes I would
have to have a Captain's licence in the US. Because I do not know much
about this subject I will not make any comments and would appreciate if
someone could enlighten me.