posted to rec.boats.building
DSK DSK is offline

Default Bombigher vs. Bruce Roberts

André Langevin wrote:
Indeed some BR are boxy and some others aren't. For a designer who has so
much model to choose from we need to say which one.

That's sure to be true, after all I am not familiar with
each & every Bruce Roberts design. However, all the ones I
have seen (including a fin keel racer-cruiser) look rather
boxy to my eye. Maybe some are more so than others

Unless someone is a first hand sailor trained on 60feet surfing maxi beast,
i'm not sure that it is a big difference to go 7.5 instead of 8.0 knots with
a 38 LWL (for a given 40 some feet LOA).

There more difference than that between a heavy full keeled
boat & a lightweight speedy one. 60ft maxis have been known
to break 20 knots, and hit the teens regularly. Of course,
when the weather & sea state become terrible then the
problem is to slow down, which the heavy boats are much
better at!

... Of course if you're stuck at 5
knots because someone doesn't know how to hoist a sail and trim it is
another problem. It all depend on the navigation program. Some people
want to go fast and i agree, other want safety.

I don't see an inherent conflict between speed & safety. A
fast boat can be just as safe... or more so... than a slow one.

I valuate your opinion but i don't know what boxy means. For my education,
do you think that this design is boxy or functional ? ::
http://www.langevin.biz/marinette34/next_boat.htm

Heh heh ... next you'll want me to criticise some mother's
child, right?

From that angle, it's a nice looking boat. Is it a hard
chine hull? I don't happen to like raised aft decks, too
piratey-looking, but that's personal taste.

Fresh BReezes- Doug King