posted to rec.boats.building
André Langevin André Langevin is offline

Default Bombigher vs. Bruce Roberts

Those Bombigher are beautiful boats for someone with a sentimental heart but
i would never go on the ocean in north atlantic neither out of the trade
wins with a boat like this. The first knock down and you loose everything
over the deck.

Please think in advance as to where you want to go. Document yourself about
the ships that made it before. Talk with people that have been in hard
weather because it could happen to you as well. And probably your design
will change thereafter.

I'm planning a circumnavigation and lot of cruising and after many months
looking at different boats and characteristics, reading Adlard Coles,
Dashews on bad weather and other things, documenting on many accident at
sea... i am still confident i could do it in a conventional boat like a
Roberts 43 but built in steel or aluminum and be equiped to be able to
sustain 2 feet of water over the deck for day long without leaking a single
drop in...

Good luck !

André
"scbafreak via BoatKB.com" u25927@uwe wrote in message
I am considering building a boat and in my obsession I have been looking at
designs. Here is the deal. I have been looking at the Bruce Roberts
Centennial Spray 45 or 50 and the Bombigher 38-40 or 44-40. I like the
look
of the Bombigher immensley. I saw the design and loved it, I saw photos
of
completed boats and love them as well. This is not to say that I don't
like
the BR C-Spray. It is a beautiful boat but not exactly what I want.
Close,
but not all the way the way there.

Here is the down side. I don't know if I can get any support from
Bombigher,
considering that he is no longer among the living, and BR states very
clearly
that you get as much support as you think you need. Bombigher has stated
that all of there designs have very extensive instructions and this fact
may
make it so i wont really need support I can't get elsewhere. Also, as
much
as I like the look of the designs, I don't know enough about these boats
tell what would make a better sailboat. I plan to be a live-aboard and
eventually do extensive blue water cruising. This is all stuff I need to
learn more about over the years of planning and building but while
considering future plans in building, I am curious as to the opinions of
others about these designs.

Not many designers draw these styles of boats. Most are sleek and pointed
and not my style. I really like the old "Pirate Ship" style and I want it
be as much along the style of old sailing ships as possible while still
being
safe and capable.

I would consider another designer if they are superior in safety and
support
for the builder as long as there designs are along the sort I am looking
at.