[email protected] jaykchan@hotmail.com is offline

Default How to Test a Warning Horn Unit?

I would like to know the way to check if a warning-horn unit in my boat
is working or not. I am supposed to hear a beep-beep from the
warning-horn unit when I turn on the key to start my Mercury 1995 115hp
outboard. But I hear nothing. I am wondering if the warning horn unit
is working or not. If I find that it is not working, I will simply
replace it without going through further investigation. But I don't
know exactly how to test it.

The Mercury Service Manual asks me to ground the "tan" wire of the
warning horn unit to test it. I don't understand what this means. Can
I simply run the two wires from the warning-horn unit to either
terminal of a 12-volt battery and see if I can get it to horn?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan