Ernest Scribbler Ernest Scribbler is offline

Default Mercruiser 165 hp GM 250 Engine

"sonofadocker" wrote
Does anyone know what would be in the way of getting a socket or wrench
on the starter bolts ?

Thanks for telling me what sizes to try. The two bolts are too close to
the rear block or bell housing to get a socket on them. A wrench does
not have enough "bite" on the bolt to losen them.

I just went out to the garage and poked around on my 165 (77 Thunderbird)
with a flashlight and an inspection mirror. I didn't try removing anything,
but I was able to get a 3/8" drive 9/16" socket on each bolt head with a
short extension. There's a flywheel cover bolt head right in the way under
each starter bolt, and it's so close that a deep well or a 1/2" drive socket
would probably be too big to get past without taking those cover bolts out
first. Even the smaller socket may not get past them once you get the
starter bolt backed out a bit, so you might have to remove them regardless.
BTW, if your T-bird is built like mine, six screws will take out the back
seat and make the side of the engine a whole lot easier to get to.