Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Baltic 43...a mistake????

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 10:15:21 -0500, Charlie Morgan wrote:

40 and 50 foot deep draft boats in LIS are a VERY tiny number, and you
don't see them enjoying wonderful places like Coecles Harbor, Zieglers
Cove, Southport, Milford, Cedar Island, Sterling Harbor, or hundreds
of other great spots, either. They simply can't go, and many of the
places they can go at all, they have to anchor very far out. Heck,
most of Sag Harbor is less than 8 feet deep.

I spent many years racing 40 and 50 ft boats on LIS and we always had
plenty of company. There are close to 100 in Stamford alone, and a
bunch more in Greenwich, Norwalk, Rye, Huntington and Manhasset.

Stirling, Coecles and Sag Harbor are in Gardiners Bay last time I
looked, not Long Island Sound.

My chart for Zieglers Cove shows 8 ft at MLW. Bill Ziegler docked his
fairly large racing boat, Gem, there for many years. (Chart # 12368_1)

Southport has a controling depth of 9 ft at MLW. (Chart # 12369_1)

Milford inner harbor is 5 ft but the outer harbor is 9ft. (Chart #
12354_1)

Cedar Island (Clinton) has 7 1/2 to 8 at MLW. (Chart 12374_1)

And of course this ignores the other 20 or 30 fine harbors on Long
Island Sound, most of which have depths of 12 ft or more.