posted to rec.boats.building
Wm Watt Wm Watt is offline

Default Black Walnut bad luck?

Shanghai wrote:
I love Black Walnut. Generally too valuable for structural boat
building but I have heard of it. I've heard varying reports re rot
resistance. Would be excellent for interior finishwork. L.F.
Herreshoff often used Butternut (aka White Walnut) for cabinetry.
Lighter color and weight. Also softer. I intend to make my cabin sole
of Black Walnut and Holly.

If you find any butternut grab it. A virus is wiping out the butternut.
It will soon be gone the way of the chestnut and elm.
An Internet search on butternut will provide details.