Glenn Ashmore Glenn Ashmore is offline

Default New nav computer/Skype phone/PDA aboard!

Skype is very insidious. Intentionally so to prevent it being blocked.
Cable and Worthless BVI has successfully blocked vonnage because the source
IP is easy to detect but have not found a way to block Skype. As I
understand it, if Skype runs into a block it will try connecting through a
series of different "supernodes" until it finds one that can sneak around
the block.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"mr.b" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 20:35:54 -0400, Larry wrote:

"mr.b" wrote in news
1. If Don is on a cable, Skype software may identify his connection as
a supernode, thus Don's $50/mnth bandwidth is used to route calls for
Skype, not that they let Don know that that's what could happen nor does
Skype reimburse Don for the use of a service that Don is paying for.

Not true.

actually Larry what I wrote is true

Skype uses your connection to route your connection data
through and passes those connected through you their contact list and
who's online. It does NOT, route any calls, whatsoever through your
system.

actually Larry, the software does use your connection to route calls and
if you are unlucky enough to be tagged as a supernode, the system will use
your bandwidth -the bandwidth _you_ pay for, to route _many_ calls. This
seems simple to me.

Mine's been on it for a long time. It's bandwidth usage is
undetectable, even on limited bandwidth DSL. I'm on a 7Mbps cable
connection through a wired/wifi router, sometimes with 3 Skype devices
running at once.

Perhaps reading more carefully might assist. Your connection -fast as it
is- probably has not been co-opted as a supernode -without your knowledge
or informed consent- which is the way Skype works.

It has made NO difference in my constant usenet
downloading or it would have been gone long ago.

well then, perhaps you've been lucky

2. Proprietary software/encryption/protocols that
according to the head-honcho at Skype "will not pass OpenSource auditing
for security".

AS I don't send state secrets over Skype's connection, I doubt anyone
will
become enthralled with my Skype conversations with Skip aboard Flying Pig
about...snip

that isn't the point is it, but then it seems that while you resent
"state-snooping", other forms of snooping -or the potential for it- are
alright with you. Seems a contradiction to me. Whatever makes you happy.