posted to alt.sailing
gg gg is offline

Default Wind Generators

Hi,

Regarding the DuoGen.
I've owned one for a number of years now and met a few people with some
with whom I've exchanged notes.

Overall the kit is quite good, this is how I think it fares:
- in wind mode its probably average, I don't think it can beat the best
wind generator out there (more moving parts) but it will do good. It needs
about 15knots of wind before output is useful (ie 1-2 amps@12V), before
that forget it. In wind the unit is quiet (I know this is a subjective
measure but I've heard noisy wind vanes and this is not one of them).

- I think the Duogen really hits it in water mode. I've had the unit in
the med, then did a trans-atlantic in 2005 and cruised the caribbean until
june this year. Whenever in water mode we don't need to fire the engine to
charge the batteries (in fact crossed the atlantic without needing the
engine (except when no wind )). It produces about 8amps at 5knots boat
speed with no measurable boat speed loss. Beware that if you are lucky to
hit 8-10knots for a long time you'll have to take the unit out as it
overheats (its also overproducing - at least for my boat it is).

Construction wise the unit is robust (esp the newer models - I have an
"older" model), in breakage I've broken blades, but the Duogen people
replaced it all FOC - even two years later when I experienced a knock on
effet and the boat was in the carribbean, they shipped me a
wind transmission FOC.

Cost wise I agree the unit is expensive, but then if you add the cost of a
separate wind and water generator then its a good deal.

If I had unlimited butget I would couple the Duogen with another high
output wind generator and solar panels, then we would be in electrical
paradise. But my first purchase would be the DuoGen (solar panels next,
2nd wind generator last).

Hope this helps.
Gabriel.

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 06:35:53 -0700, ripple wrote:

I'm interested in hearing comments on any currently available wind or
water powered generators, as well. I'm looking for very low noise and
vibration and I would be very interested to hear from someone familiar
with any of the DuoGen generators.

Barry Gordon wrote:
I would be very grateful for opinions and experiences with the newer
wind generators such as Marine AirX, Aero6gen, KISS, Ampair. TIA.