Glenn Ashmore Glenn Ashmore is offline

Default New nav computer/Skype phone/PDA aboard!

"krj" wrote

Yes, There is a downside that you don't see. Down island the cost to
connect at the internet cafe's is sometimes $6.00 for the first 10 minutes
and $1.00/min after that.
krj

Depends on where you are and your "web ethics". ;-) A number of restaurants
and bars in the BVI, SXM and StV&G have found that free wifi is a big
drawing card. Most offer free wifi or the first half hour free if you order
something. Many marinas offer free wifi with slip rent and as a last resort
several operations offer multiple hotspots aimed out into anchorages for $50
to $60/week. BVIWifi is really cool. They run ten 500mw hotspots scattered
around the BVI. With a decent antenna and a 200mw adapter you can connect
from up to a couple of miles away.

There is also a growing number of unsecured APs sprouting up all over the
islands. Last week in a 2 mile drive along Ridge Road in Tortola my Net
Stumbler discovered over 50 unsecured APs with usable signal. Seems like
every villa is installing an access point and just leaving them up even when
the place is vacant. Not saying you should constantly piggyback on an AP
uninvited but if you really need to make a call it is possible almost
anywhere.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com