Larry Larry is offline

Default New nav computer/Skype phone/PDA aboard!

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in
:

You can get a regular phone number for a small monthly fee (no long
term contract) so POTS phones can call you. The caller pays what ever
his normal rate is to your home area code and Skype forwards it to
where ever your PC happens to be. You can also set up a calling order
so that if your PC doesn't answer it will call your land line. If
that doesn't answer it will call your cell phone and finally send it
to your voice mail.

Skype In, with your own phone number, is $US28/YEAR...a princely sum most
can't afford. Your Skype In number doesn't HAVE to be where you live,
either! One of my neighbors is a master sgt in the USAF at Charleston
AFB across the street. HIS Skype In number is in Cleveland, OH, back
home where all his calls come from. When his friends want to call him,
they just dial his Skype In phone number...in Cleveland, a local call.
That way, his parents don't ever have to play the musical long distance
chairs scam the phone companies run. He'll keep his Cleveland Skype In
phone number, even when he is transferred to Okinawa or wherever because
Skype plugs into the internet and doesn't really care where he is....his
Skype In calls will come in wherever the system finds his Skype (or more
than one Skype) running under his username. If he's on Guam, Mom will
call his local Cleveland number and his Skype on guam.net will ring just
like it does in Charleston.

Vonage sucks. They're in such trouble that Circuit City has a Vonage
interconnect device that they are selling for $50...WITH A $100 REBATE!
I think you have to enslave yourself to Vonage for a couple of years to
get the rebate or we would have been rippin' off CC for $50 by the
carload...(c;

BTW, your computer will run 24/7/365 for about 30 years between
failures....at full power. The servers do all the time. Mine hasn't
been shut down in years! I wear out the keyboard, first. A priest also
told me it was NOT a serious sin to leave it running, even
downloading....

--
-- (shameless tagline) --
If you're sending someone some Styrofoam,