Default How to Drill Out a Broken Bolt?

"Ernest Scribbler" wrote in message
"Clams Canino" wrote
I wanna know how you broke *three*.
I mean - after you broke one... didn't a clue rake at least try to hit
you
over the head about the rest of them?

Not to jump on the jump-on-Jay bandwagon (he's got enough trouble with his
broken bolts already), but wasn't he the guy who asked what the difference
is between foot pounds and inch pounds a while back?

Yes. Excellent question. However, I also agree with Frogwatch. You just have
to develop a feel for how much force things are able to take, and where the
gotchas are hiding. Try telling a 17 year old "With some screws, you want to
gently turn them in backwards until you feel or hear a click, or you'll
strip the threads". Mine said "Well, how do you know which screws?" I really
couldn't tell him, except to say that the higher the price of the thing
you're trying to fix, the more likely it is that you'll have a problem. :-)