NE Sailboat NE Sailboat is offline

Default Sheet to Tiller self steering question .. ??

Yo .. Captain Roger .. on my Bristol 32, my self steering gear is a Bungy
Cord.

The link .. http://www.jsward.com/steering/index.shtml

This goes back to 1974. The author, apparently wrote a book that shows how
to set this up..

And before the Windvane, this method was used by some for very long
passages.

For the life of me, the article just doesn't make sense to me. I read it
five times.

Dumb I guess.

PS .. the B32 , will be nearby this coming season ,,, maybe.. depends of
crew.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Tom (or whatever),

You forgot to include the link in your post. These kinds of self steering
rigs are very finicky, the king of thing you try to jury rig after your
real wind vane steerer breaks and you are facing days of steering you
hadn't planned on.

Some very long keeled boat can work pretty well with them but they won't
work very well on your Bristol 32, even if you don't sell it.

Give my regards to Captain Winchandle when you see him

--

Roger Long

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
Found this info on the net, all about sheet to tiller self steering.
Since I have a tiller ,,

I read and re-read the web site info for the sheet to tiller set up.. I
still can't understand it. The pictures don't help and there are no
diagrams.

Figured one of you could explain better or send me to a site that shows
diagrams, and pictures that actually show the set up.