posted to rec.boats.electronics
b393capt b393capt is offline

Default AIS 2006 Conference Presentations on the Web

In refering to the AIS 2006 Presentations, someone at Pambo wrote
"There's a lot of interesting material there, which I've only
skipped through, but of particular note is the first day presentation
by Dr. Andy Norris. One of his conclusions is that "Class B users
must not assume that their AIS signal will be visible on any ship."

After reading thru the presentation from Dr. Andy Norris, I very much
lowered my priority in obtaining AIS for my 39 foot sail boat. Seems it
might be a good tool for me to see other boats, but it sure doesn't
give me any confidence my boat will be visable. For example, Dr. Norris
points out that many boats display their AIS information in a target
list form, e.g. not on a chartplotter or radar screen, that makes the
information much less usable.