posted to rec.boats.electronics
Tapio Sokura Tapio Sokura is offline

Default Could somebody please explain the "Open" in NMEA-2000??

Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Tapio Sokura wrote:
is not the same as free. And I guess there are no per unit licensing
fees that have to be paid if one implements NMEA2000 in one's product.

Is this really true? I noted a reference to NEMA 2000 certification in
the link posted by the OP. What are the terms of this certification?

I haven't read the actual spec, since it costs money, but I was under
the impression that there are no extra licensing fees. If you want to be
sure, you'd better ask the NMEA folks themselves. Getting one's product
officially certified probably incurs some costs anyway.

Tapio