posted to rec.boats.electronics
Paul Hovnanian P.E. Paul Hovnanian P.E. is offline

Default Could somebody please explain the "Open" in NMEA-2000??

Tapio Sokura wrote:

wrote:
It actually says, as the title: "NMEA 2000® Marine Network Standard,
The Open Non-Proprietary Industry Wide Standard"

I guess it can be called open, because the spec is actually available
for anyone to use and implement, albeit for a hefty sum of money. Open
is not the same as free. And I guess there are no per unit licensing
fees that have to be paid if one implements NMEA2000 in one's product.

Is this really true? I noted a reference to NEMA 2000 certification in
the link posted by the OP. What are the terms of this certification?

Can I purchase the spec, implement a product and get it certified if my
product happens to be a reference implementation of the entire spec,
complete with commented source code to be distributed with the product?
Maybe something like a NEMA 2000 development kit (just a CAN development
board with a documented NEMS 2000 protocol stack included).

--
Paul Hovnanian
Q: Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?