posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Nystrom Brian Nystrom is offline

Default Peel Ply.. Please Help

Dan wrote:
Likewise, however, I did a test with the 6 oz cloth and 17 oz biax. I
laminated two pieces to a piece of plywood side by side using the exact
same epoxy. After 24 hr. curing in the house, I was able to rip the 6 oz
off the wood, but not the biax. I suspect something was wrong with the 6
oz material. I bought new material (10 oz) and I'll try that.

Unfortunately, 17 oz. biaxial fabric is WAY too heavy for a lot of
applications.

Also, 24 hours is not adequate cure time for most epoxies before you
torture test them. It's enough to allow you to shape/fair them, but full
curing takes several days at a minimum, unless you're working in
unusually high temps. At low temps, a full cure can take weeks.

Perhaps there was something wrong with the fabric you had, but it's
certainly not a universal problem.

That's interesting, as I know literally hundreds of people that have
covered wood (S&G or strip) kayaks and canoes with 6 oz. fabric and
epoxy of various brands with zero problems. I've used it in multilayer
kayak repairs with zero problems. I suspect that there's more to this
story.