John H

Default Another Beautiful Bay Day!

On Thu, 13 May 2004 17:41:59 -0400, DSK wrote:

John H wrote:
I see a lot of sailboats in the bay, but never see anyone fishing from them. Why
not?

Maybe you're not looking close enough? It's true that a fairly low
percentage of sailors are interested in fishing, as opposed to 100% of
center console or walk-around boaters. But I know a lot of guys who like
to drown worms from their boats. Among long distance cruisers, it's
almost mandatory.

... Is it because they require a lot more attention than a power boat?

A little. But not a lot. It's like walking & chewing gum. And you could
easily anchor, or use an autopilot.

... I'm not
trying to put down sailboaters, I just wonder why more of them don't try to fish
from their boats.

OK. I'm not trying to put down fishermen, either. I was idly speculating
if the increase in gas prices is going to increase interest in sailing.
It's actually not the cheap & efficient means of propulsion it's often
made out to be, so probably not.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

The increase hurts a little, but it amounts to only a couple dollars for a trip.
In other words, the marginal cost doesn't play into the decision much. Also, I
always have a friend or two to go along and share the cost. Split two or three
ways, the cost isn't too bad.

I've never thought seriously about buying a sail boat, but I have thought about
buying a bigger power boat, so I'll have more room for fishing!

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!