posted to alt.sailing.asa
Ellen MacArthur Ellen MacArthur is offline

Default Binoculars

"Dave" wrote
| Following up on my earlier post, every now and then I've thought of saying
| "dip it" when throwing a line to the dock. But I haven't because I figure it
| would just confuse the line handler. Am I right? How many here would
| immediately know what to do if I threw them a line and said "dip it?"

You dip it in the water first so it gets wet. This makes the knot hold better.
Just kidding. When you dip the line you put it under somebody's else's line that's
already tied there. You should always do this so the first guy to tie up doesn't have
to untie your line to get to his. Do unto others....

Cheers,
Ellen