posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] dbohara@mindspring.com is offline

Default Sailboat propeller question

Dennis wrote:
Hi André!

When I mentioned that the engine revs up to 4000rpm, that is under load
(i.e. in forward or reverse gear). I presume if the engine only had 1-2
HP, this would not be possible?

Thanks a lot!

Dennis

My 28' S2 weighs 8000 lbs and came with a Yanmar 1GM with 6.5 hp. With
a 3 blade prop. I could get 5 kts in calm water with clean hull and
prop. I did not like this because I was always afraid that in a
thunderstorm situation that I would not have enough power. I also
wanted a bigger engine cuz I thought I would do a lot of motoring whn
cruising so I got a 13 hp 2GM. With the 2GM, I can easily get to
nearly 7 kts under power.

There is an identical S2 next to mine equiped with the 6.5 hp 1GM.
The owner says he has the 3 blade prop and last week he told me he only
gets 3.5 kts out of it. Something is wrong here and I dont know what
but i seem to have lucked out.