posted to rec.boats.building
Mik Mik is offline

Default Peel Ply.. Please Help

I'm not a peel ply expert, but your problem really sounds like you mixed
the epoxy wrong. If mixed correctly, it should harden as solid as a
rock regardless of what material it is touching (Acetone being the
exception).

Run a few test batches of epoxy to ensure it is curing properly.
Are you using pumps to measure?
Are your ratios correct?

I have never had a batch of West epoxy fail to harden reardless of what
material it is in contact with. Just ask SWMBO, as I am not the neatest
person, and I have glued several of her items to my workbench with the
odd drip of epoxy

Mike McGillivray
Saskatoon

Dan wrote:
What does peel ply look like? Does it look just like 6oz fiberglass cloth?
I laminated two layers of 6oz cloth to my cockpit sole using epoxy. I
laid the fiberglass down dry and lined it up nicely. Then I folded it
back over itself half way. Then I rolled unthickened epoxy over the sole
surface and the laid the fiberglass back over the epoxy and rolled that
down with more epoxy until it was clear. Then I did the other half the
exact same way. I used just enough epoxy to turn the cloth clear but no
extra. Then I laid a second layer of cloth on top of the first layer and
rolled epoxy onto it until it was clear. This is two feet wide by 6 feet
long.
I waited until it was sticky like masking tape. I rolled unthickened
epoxy over the whole surface. I waited until that was sticky and rolled
another coat on it.
after the second coat was sticky, I rolled a 3rd coat on. It was smooth
and shiny. That was two weeks ago. The temperature in the shop was
around 65 or so. I was sweating doing it so it wasn't very cold out. It
was raining outside, but this is in a building.
Today, I was picking at the corner of the glass with my pocket knife. I
was able to lift the corner of the fiberglass. I pushed my knife in
further and was able to lift a big piece of fiberglass. In just 15
minutes, I was able to rip all of the fiberglass off in big pieces. So I
wonder if this guy sold me peel ply instead of fiberglass. I can't
believe that it was a contaminated substrate because, the epoxy should
have stuck somewhere. This was too easy to get up. I pulled it up with
my gloves on and just yanked it up. I can also rip the two courses apart
with ease. What is going on here? What does peel ply look like? Could I
have possibly mistaken peel ply for fiberglass?