Gogarty Gogarty is offline

Default Roger Long - Titanic's Final Moments

In article ,
says...

wrote

So as I understand it, the belief now is that the two parts broke
apart much earlier than previously believed?

The hull actually broke within a few minutes of the time everyone
agrees that the ship sank. The significant point is how much longer
she might have remained afloat.

(Snip)

Extremely interesting, Roger. My English course term paper in my
freshman year at college (1949-1950) was on the Titanic. Got an A.

Did you know she carried a full set of sails?

I did most of my research at the Library of Congress in Washington,
DC.In those days they did not have microfilm and one could handle the
actual newspapars. The newspaper publishers printed special library
editions that were on far better stock than the standard newsprint. It
was absolutely fascinating to read the papers chronicling the ship from
launch to sailing to mundane radio traffic to all the erroneous reports
of her sinking or not sinking. But somebody had stolen the front page of
the edition that actually headlined her confirmed sinking.