posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default U.S. Firing Plans for Great Lakes Raise Concerns

In article ,
Mark Borgerson mborgerson.at.comcast.net wrote:

MMC wrote:
Looks like (the Department of) Homeland Security is alive and well.
U.S. Firing Plans for Great Lakes Raise Concerns

And, for the first time in memory, Coast Guard members plan to use
a stretch of water at least five miles off this Michigan shore

Note it says "at least five miles off"

as permanent, live fire shooting zones for training

I'd say that the concerned boaters ought to be more worried about
cruising anywhere within mile of shore during deer season!

Make that 5 miles, and you got it. I've seen some of my friends'
ordinance.

Like all military live-fire excercises, there will be observers
watching for non-targets in the fire zone.

Boaters east of the Mississippi just seem to want all military
activities to head West over the horizon.

Not quite true, but people hate change.

There's a large Navy firing range in the southern (or, to some Bay
sailors, middle) Chesapeake. Don't know whether it's for aircraft.
ships, boats or some combination, but THEIR ordinance can go a quite a
distance.

Part of the ICW in the Carolinas is through a Marine training ground
(too lazy to look up which) and traffic sometimes is stopped to avoid
mishaps.

And I used to watch A-10s head off to target practice over in central
NJ -- not all of Jersey is turnpike, urban decay and chemical dum^h^h^h
plants, just most of it ;-)

--
Jere Lull