Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Sailing fast and Loos

In article .com,
"Skip Gundlach" wrote:

Once the hull's settled in, I expect that a Loos gauge is the way to
go to see the right setup. I have two questions:

First, is it worth the investment to buy one? I'm not a racer, nor
will I ever be. But I expect that a properly tuned rig will be
kinder to the boat, in any event. Is this something which I'd use
frequently or something better done by paying a rigger (the largest
tool is what our boat needs - it's 180 at list) on the occasions when
I thought I needed it?

Another use you might not have considered: I marked our final settings
on the gauge, and recheck whenever the leeward shrouds look a little
too loose during a hard sail. Takes maybe 5 minutes. Most times, the
static numbers are the same, but one Fall, they were somewhat lower.
Further investigation revealed that our structural bulkhead
(deck-stepped mast) was shifting due to hidden rot. It'd dropped less
than 3/8" and we'd probably have been safe, but Xan got put away early
that year and got a new bulkhead the next Spring.

I do suggest your first setup be checked by a rigger, though. If you got
new sails, your sailmaker might be a good resource. That gives you
independent "eyes" checking your work. I think it's worth the bucks for
the piece of mind.

And shaft alignment DOES change as the boat settles to the new shroud
tensions. Not as much as the initial splash, but enough to cause some
"thunk".

--
Jere Lull