posted to rec.boats.building
Dan Dan is offline

Default Peel Ply.. Please Help

I am using West system epoxy. The material is about 6 mos. old. I am
bonding over fairing putty that was used to level the surface prior to
putting the fiberglass down. It was a clean and course surface. The part
I don't get is that it didn't even stick to itself. I did some repair
work using this epoxy and DB1808 and it is solid as a rock. I need to
figure out what this fiberglass material is. I'm going to do a test
laminate on wood today to see how it adheres. I ruled out contamination
because I can peel both layers apart. That's what's confusing.

It didn't bond well to the fairing putty, but it didn't bond well to the
original fiberglass either. Hmmmm...
Thanks for the reply's,
Dan

Ystay wrote:
Sounds like a problem with the epoxy, not the glass. What you're using is
definitely not peel ply. What brand of epoxy were you using? Was it
formulated as a laminating epoxy rather than a "glueing" epoxy? Seems like
you did everything right. I can sort of understand if it didn't stick to
the substrate but it MUST have at least stuck to itself. Hmmmm....

Arnold