posted to rec.boats.building
Meindert Sprang Meindert Sprang is offline

Default fixing a rubber gun whale strip

"Stevens" wrote in message
Hi there,

I need to fit a new rubber strip around the gun-whale of a fibreglass boat
that I have been restoring for some time. I removed the old strip, removed
all the old resin holding in place, and cleaned up the joint where the

hull
and deck join. I don't how many types of these strips there are, but this
one is pushed over the fibreglass join and is held in place with epoxy or
polyester resin.

Now for the question what method/process should I use to fix the new one

in
place. The last thing I want is to stuff this up and end up with resin
getting onto the newly painted hull and deck and the rubber strip not
looking good. All help with this matter will be greatly appreciated.

I'd still use epoxy. You can use masking tape on the hull alongside the
rubber strip to prevent epoxy from spoiling your paintwork. You could even
make a plastic "skirt" held in place by masking tape.

Meindert